Pyrce High

You are not connected. Please login or register

A suggestion for Kira

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 A suggestion for Kira on Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:05 am

Frosty

Admin
Admin
-In Death Note mode, add a new mechanic for learning names as Kira.
Basically, whilst someone is in your vision and you're holding the death, a hidden timer passes. Once am accumulative total of three in-game hours have passed, you have a 50% chance of learning that person's name. Of course, this would effect multiple people at a time, not just one.
This would encourage Kira RPing with their victims rather than just being a "RKira" as people have taken to calling them, and also gives the culprit an option to take that isn't taking the shinigami eyes or using the computer, since both of those are less than desirable methods.
Of course, it has to take time, like I suggested.

View user profile

2 Re: A suggestion for Kira on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:27 am

Frosty wrote:-In Death Note mode, add a new mechanic for learning names as Kira.
Basically, whilst someone is in your vision and you're holding the death, a hidden timer passes. Once am accumulative total of three in-game hours have passed, you have a 50% chance of learning that person's name. Of course, this would effect multiple people at a time, not just one.
This would encourage Kira RPing with their victims rather than just being a "RKira" as people have taken to calling them, and also gives the culprit an option to take that isn't taking the shinigami eyes or using the computer, since both of those are less than desirable methods.
What's stopping Kira from just standing in a big crowd of people and waiting without roleplaying? Kira isn't the problem, it's the players. When Kira asks them for their name they either come up with something fake, AKA metagaming, or they act like they're some other character from an anime or something. (Example: Jesse and James from Pokemon (This is a true story.))

View user profile

3 Re: A suggestion for Kira on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:18 am

NESgamer190

Game Master
Game Master
Also to note, are the security cameras. If I read this suggestion right, then as long as Kira has seen the person for 3 hours on even a camera, he has a chance to learn the name without the need to show himself too much. In my humble opinion, that may very easily encourage rushing to the security room to catch anyone in the classroom and horrifically murder them.

Amends to make to the suggestion in my opinion:
Reduce the chance of knowing someone. (Probably down to 20 or even 10 percent. 50 just seems a bit much for me.)
Alternatively, make it so that you only learn one of their two names. (Presuming the names are both revealed if the 3 hour check succeeds.)
Perhaps give a chance that our Kira will learn the name wrong, and wind up get a wrong name by bad luck.

Overall, I can't say I fully agree, but I partially agree with both posts. Yes, it'd give Kira a new method, yes, it'd give Kira a possibility to play the mute killer, yes, it'd give Kira a use for the security cameras, but no, I don't see this as a bad suggestion. It just needed a bit more polish, and I personally saw a little ambiguity.

Feel free to respond to the suggestions or concern I had on this post.

View user profile

4 Re: A suggestion for Kira on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:27 am

Sachiko Shinozaki

Kooler221 wrote:
Frosty wrote:-In Death Note mode, add a new mechanic for learning names as Kira.
What's stopping Kira from just standing in a big crowd of people and waiting without roleplaying? Kira isn't the problem, it's the players. When Kira asks them for their name they either come up with something fake, AKA metagaming, or they act like they're some other character from an anime or something. (Example: Jesse and James from Pokemon (This is a true story.))

Kooler is already pointing out what I think.. we need to encourage the other players to give away their names instead of make Kira stronger. It would already work in the right direction if there were more than 1 red haired girl and 1 silver haired boy and 1 pink haired girl. We have multiple icons for these people so we should use it or at least test it in that way on the other hand we can add the PDA feature from mitadake again where kira can track down numbers using the computer.

Behind the idea that Kira can learn the names by looking at them long enough is a really good idea but it could also horribly backfire and make students avoid Kira more than ever.
Its pretty obvious that people don't want to die but they forget so often that people have to die for Kira to get caught. If Kira cant kill the story doesn't go forward also its far better when you tell Kira your name and die because people will know who knew your name and these are now suspects. When the Shinigami Eyes give him the name you will NEVER guess who Kira is.. at least not IC...

View user profile

5 Re: A suggestion for Kira on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:21 am

In all rights, this is quite stupid. Death Note mode follows the anime, or the mechanics of the anime. He didnt grow to see names, he got offered the eye deal, which is in the game currently. And he denied it to say make rp more interesting for the round.

Also, it isnt that hard to learn the names of people, just rp with them. Plus if they dont metagame it's Death Note mode they will easily give up their name.

View user profile

6 Re: A suggestion for Kira on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:05 pm

Dragonzeanse

It's... not exactly realistic, and by the time those three ingame hours pass, you'll have probably learned someone's name. However, if you stay with a group of three other people and yourself, you could off that group after the allotted time, so long as luck is on your side.

This idea has a lot of promises which are severely limited by its weaknesses. While having extra incentive not to be RKira is good, it's based on luck and thus very unlikely people will rely on it. Top that off with the fact that killing someone in the group that people see you with might lead people to deduce that someone in the group actually is Kira, the risks seem to outweigh the good. It's going to be hard to shove realism in peoples' faces when they're running around with a sword, firing dragons into people with feathers that blind them, so I won't.

I feel this mechanic should be more reliable, but I don't really see a reason why it shouldn't exist, although it means Kira will have a tendency to hang around a smaller group rather than getting to know other people. That is, to ensure that the mechanic works in their favor. Although people already form small groups to roleplay in and it may give Kira some cover while he/she does their work, I don't know if I like ideas that encourage people to selectively roleplay, but that's really because I don't see much incentive being handed out for roleplaying with others. Not to mention, Kira doesn't even have to roleplay that much and can just stand around in a room all day with a couple people, speaking only when spoken to. That's more a problem with the actual player than the suggestion, but it's not helping the situation.

We are talking about Kira, though, who normally tries to stay low profile. But my original thought remains: this mechanic feels underpowered. Though there's ideally at least three chances (despite 3 being divisible into 12 four times) at offing people, it's could be improved. Mai's suggestion is good. Letting this mechanic work by viewing people over cameras is a welcome addition, but considering the lack of hallway cameras, it's a little harder to work with. I don't think the chance of figuring out names should improve, but there's probably a better way to handle this and keep it perfectly balanced.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum