Pyrce High

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide!

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:05 pm

What Is Metagaming?

Metagaming is the use of knowledge gained from OOC (Out Of Character) means in an IC (In Character) setting. In simpler terms, it means using knowledge in game you yourself have learned, but not the character him or herself.

What Constitutes Metagaming?

At it's raw core, the most common forms of Metagaming include the following two things:
-Revealing the player who has the Killer, Kira, or Witch role over chat.
Spoiler:
Red Boy is the goddamn witch!!

-Using said info to attack that player.
Spoiler:
The Orange Haired Boy says, "You're the witch!! "
The Orange Haired Boy whacks The Green Haired Boy with their Wooden Bat!
The Orange Haired Boy whacks The Green Haired Boy with their Wooden Bat!

Why Is Metagaming An Issue??

It is an issue because, lets face it, if we didn't enforce this then everyone would just form lynch mobs to kill the first person they see attacking another, or using magic in witch mode, and writing on paper in the DN modes. Heck, they'd even attack someone who looks different from the normal students if we didn't do this.

Mode Specific Forms Of Metagaming (The Bucket List)

Normal Mode/Suspect/Ghost Mode/Doppleganger Mode:
-There isn't really much to metagame with in this mode, as it is basically free form.
-Really, just avoid giving the killers identity out on world chat.
-Do not instantly kill the suspect.
-In Ghost Mode, players who are not the Whisperer do no start off with knowledge of a Ghost within the school. They must be told of the existence of the ghost.
-In Doppleganger Mode, do not instantly kill a body you've previously seen dead that is now alive.

Death Note Mode:
-Normal students do not know what the Death Note is.
-Normal students do not know what the Shinigami Eyes are.
-Normal students know who Kira is, but not how he kills. (It is inferred that the Teacher was the old Kira, so this still stands)
-You can not kill someone over writing.
-The Shinigami cannot tell their Kira other students names.

-Students do NOT KNOW what the Shinigami is.

Witch Mode:
-Students do NOT know what a "Witch" is.
-You can NOT instantly rush in and lynch (Kill) someone who uses magic in front of you. This coincides with the above.
-As of the newest updates, do not instantly taze the witch and steal the pipe.

Zombie Mode:
-Zombies retain zero humanity. Period.
-If you're going for an RP Zombie round, you do NOT know what the Zombie is.
-If you're going for an RP Zombie round, you do NOT know what Cures are, or what they do until you test them.
-If you're going for an RP Zombie round, Zombies cannot stand in a doorway and block it. They may also not create barricades.

Artist Mode:
-Students do not know about the Artist's powers off the bat.
-You may not kill others over writing.

Vampire Mode:
-I am temporarily omitting this from the guide. Due to gameplay mechanics, enforcing some of the few possible Metagaming issues within this mode would be unethical, as it would make the mode nearly unplayable.

Ghost Mode:
-The Ghost can only carry items such as pencils and paper. This is so they may interact with the other players.
-The Ghost cannot gain sudden new abilities that allow him to hurt/interact with people who cannot see him.

Last edited by Nii-Nii Satoshi on Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:34 pm; edited 9 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated for new modes.)

View user profile

2 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:35 pm

LadyIbby

"If you're going for an RP Zombie round, Zombies retain zero humanity. Period"

I'm sorry, but how is this metagaming?

View user profile

3 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:37 pm

I asked the same thing a while back, but it was defined as metagaming by the higher staff, and I was asked to enforce that.

View user profile

4 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:40 pm

princess kyo

It's less metagaming but more "godmodding" - which is still a form of metagaming, however. Zombies are pretty much brain dead. They have no humanity left in them, and acting as if they do is giving them an ability they don't have. Very Happy

View user profile

5 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:55 pm

LadyIbby

I suppose you have a point in there, but personally I think that this 'rule' should be more of a guideline than an absolute.
After all, the Pyrce Zombies DO speak (which, well, is pretty much the defining element of humanity), even if it's just "Braiiiinnns".
Therefore, I say that retaining a tiny amount of humanity is not harmful as it can lead to some interesting scenes in the hands of skilled RPers - I am not saying we should let zombies act like civilized citizens, but playing a flesh-hungry undead can lead to frushthration if you're not allowed to take any freedom from a mould of brainless killing machine.

View user profile

6 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:58 pm

Sachiko Shinozaki

Additional to the Death Note mode is the question of the name:

People in Death Note mode don't want to die so you very rarely get their full or real name during the introduction. People either:
- Reveal only their first name to everyone. So there is basically nobody who knows their family name.
- Invent a totally fake name.
- Taze you and loot your inventory for the Death Note.

I can understand that you don't want to die but Death Note just goes nowhere if everyone stays alive and happy and people just have no IC clue on who Kira is when he has to ask the Shinigami Eyes for the names of the others because everyone is using one of these three tactics.

Its not really an issue of metagaming because people can easily roleplay for a reason to just straight keep their names for themselves but it really ruins the fun of the Death Note mode and the main reasons why "RKira" is so hated because names are so hard to get by and when someone dies its because of the shinigami eyes and no connection between Kira and the victim can be found.

View user profile

7 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:51 pm

Egil

Veteran
Veteran
LadyIbby wrote:
I suppose you have a point in there, but personally I think that this 'rule' should be more of a guideline than an absolute.
After all, the Pyrce Zombies DO speak (which, well, is pretty much the defining element of humanity), even if it's just "Braiiiinnns".
Therefore, I say that retaining a tiny amount of humanity is not harmful as it can lead to some interesting scenes in the hands of skilled RPers - I am not saying we should let zombies act like civilized citizens, but playing a flesh-hungry undead can lead to frushthration if you're not allowed to take any freedom from a mould of brainless killing machine.

I agree with this. I am against zombies being civilized or able to communicate properly... but for those who know how to roleplay, being an undead 'pet' that eventually betrays it's master or being able to expression revenge/compassion/etc. makes the round interesting.

View user profile

8 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:56 pm

Frosty

Admin
Admin
I would think that it'd be fair for the main zombie to be allowed to retain humanity, since I consider the other zombies as players who've "lost", in a way. They died, so their RP is over, and they must provide a conflict that the living players must fight.
Of course if the main zombie never infects anyone there's a problem there too. Hrmm :I

View user profile

9 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:10 am

Nightsky

SatoshiOfTheFunk wrote:

To what extent does this rule apply? They're gray, moaning, slightly decayed, and muttering "braaiiinnsss", traits which are stereotypical to pretty much all zombie media. I'm sure most students have seen or heard of at least one zombie-based thing. Also, (most) stereotypical zombie movie includes their bites turning you into zombies. Are we allowed to reference at least that much once we figure out they're zombies, even if they haven't bitten anyone yet? We'd probably avoid the zombies just because their bites are depicted as contagious in most stories, after all. I don't see much metagaming there.

View user profile

10 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Nightsky wrote:
SatoshiOfTheFunk wrote:

To what extent does this rule apply? They're gray, moaning, slightly decayed, and muttering "braaiiinnsss", traits which are stereotypical to pretty much all zombie media. I'm sure most students have seen or heard of at least one zombie-based thing. Also, (most) stereotypical zombie movie includes their bites turning you into zombies. Are we allowed to reference at least that much once we figure out they're zombies, even if they haven't bitten anyone yet? We'd probably avoid the zombies just because their bites are depicted as contagious in most stories, after all. I don't see much metagaming there.
It means you can't just instantly realize the zombie is a zombie and just kill it off the bat. Again, this applies to RP Zombie rounds.

View user profile

11 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Sachiko Shinozaki

SatoshiOfTheFunk wrote:
Nightsky wrote:
SatoshiOfTheFunk wrote:

It means you can't just instantly realize the zombie is a zombie and just kill it off the bat. Again, this applies to RP Zombie rounds.

As obvious as Zombies are its for the fun of the round that you don't kill off the killer role in the first 2 hours.

View user profile

12 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:13 am

Misha Arsellec Lune wrote:
SatoshiOfTheFunk wrote:
Nightsky wrote:
SatoshiOfTheFunk wrote:

As obvious as Zombies are its for the fun of the round that you don't kill off the killer role in the first 2 hours.

If the zombie is dying too fast it can either be modified or the cures can be nerfed a bit.

And for several other comments;
I believe it is fine to retain humanity sometimes, but as long as you still act like a zombie and kill/eat people, you're a zombie, don't make friends and hang out/talk to them constantly through emote, emoting is there for reactions, not for you to use to talk to people and befriend them.

And for Death Note;
Nobody knows how Kira kills or even knows he needs their name and face also Kira doesn't know about the Shinigami eye deal, so if the Shinigami never offers it and you ask for it, that itself is meta-gaming. Currently I'm working on resolving a few issues, but all issues are pretty mild.

If anyone has questions you can ask it in the QnA forum that is now added.

View user profile http://pyrcehigh.crazy4us.com

13 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:38 am

Fluttershy wrote:It's less metagaming but more "godmodding" - which is still a form of metagaming, however. Zombies are pretty much brain dead. They have no humanity left in them, and acting as if they do is giving them an ability they don't have. Very Happy

Godmodding is doing somthing that you arnt able too do and yet still type it up in a rp.

"Slashes forward, severing the red boys nerves" <--Godmod.

"Slashes forward, his axe swinging toward the red head boy, trying to hit him, he would try this multiple times untill succsesfully hit" <--Not godmodding, it consists of "Trying, try and multiple times, etc."

Also, Metagaming consist of bringing ic infomation into ooc, vice-versa.

-Telling your IC name in ooc.
-Giving out clues or anything relevent to the modes selected killer, kira, etc.
-Thinking you can trolololol not give your name out on DN mode, because you saw the mode before the round start as DN. This being said, you cannot be scared icly, only that their is a killer known as kira, you dont know how he kills nor if he actually killed the said teacher, so icly you should give your name out.

View user profile

14 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:16 pm

This guide refers more towards the OOC in IC aspect to metagaming. IC in OOC metagaming aspects are fairly obvious just from the term IC in OOC, so I didn't feel the need to list them off.

View user profile

15 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:43 pm

In the first place, metagaming is using OOC information in-game. Discussing things regarding in-game information while out-of-character is just a discussion. If people use that information when their character has no knowledge of it, then it's metagaming.

View user profile

16 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:21 pm

RamenNoodles wrote:In the first place, metagaming is using OOC information in-game. Discussing things regarding in-game information while out-of-character is just a discussion. If people use that information when their character has no knowledge of it, then it's metagaming.
I fail to see the point in your post.
If you actually read the first post, you will see that I defined Metagaming as "the use of knowledge gained from OOC (Out Of Character) means in an IC (In Character) setting. In simpler terms, it means using knowledge in game you yourself have learned, but not the character him or herself."
Discussion in chat falls under metagaming because it is usually used to OOCly GIVE people info to use in IC. Such as a watcher being killed by the killer, then saying in world chat "Black Haired Boy is the killer, he stabbed me to death!" or telling a friend where you are to go meet you.

View user profile

17 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Sat May 19, 2012 4:22 pm

Sachiko Shinozaki

SatoshiOfTheFunk wrote:
RamenNoodles wrote:In the first place, metagaming is using OOC information in-game. Discussing things regarding in-game information while out-of-character is just a discussion. If people use that information when their character has no knowledge of it, then it's metagaming.
I fail to see the point in your post.
If you actually read the first post, you will see that I defined Metagaming as "the use of knowledge gained from OOC (Out Of Character) means in an IC (In Character) setting. In simpler terms, it means using knowledge in game you yourself have learned, but not the character him or herself."
Discussion in chat falls under metagaming because it is usually used to OOCly GIVE people info to use in IC. Such as a watcher being killed by the killer, then saying in world chat "Black Haired Boy is the killer, he stabbed me to death!" or telling a friend where you are to go meet you.

Satoshi is totally right with that one. When people know for example that silver haired boy is Kira even if its just OOC it will change the way the other people act towards silver haired boy and some try to find a reason to actually kill him and take the Death Note. Same applies to all other modes.

View user profile

18 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Sun May 20, 2012 6:35 pm

Continuity. Is it metagaming or not.

It is my belief that the continuity of Pryce is a LOOP. The end and start points connect, as any circle, square, rectangle, triangle or so on. I do not believe Pryce has a straight-forward continuity.

Okay, my question is simple. Would using Pryce's continuity in it's time line be meta-gaming. Per example:

"There is no reason to be surprised. It's happened before to this school."

By that, I specifically mean, would it be meta-gaming for someone to mention a previous Pryce round in a new Pryce round and break the continuity, or would it not matter. I see it happen an awful lot. Seems horrible meta-gaming like to me.

View user profile

19 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Tue May 22, 2012 1:02 am

Sachiko Shinozaki

ContinuityGuy wrote:Continuity. Is it metagaming or not.

It is my belief that the continuity of Pryce is a LOOP. The end and start points connect, as any circle, square, rectangle, triangle or so on. I do not believe Pryce has a straight-forward continuity.

Okay, my question is simple. Would using Pryce's continuity in it's time line be meta-gaming. Per example:

By that, I specifically mean, would it be meta-gaming for someone to mention a previous Pryce round in a new Pryce round and break the continuity, or would it not matter. I see it happen an awful lot. Seems horrible meta-gaming like to me.

This would only work if the killer of the previous round was never caught and survived or just happens to be the same person with the same hair color. Other than this rare cases if there is a new killer its not connected with the murder you see here.
Also... can someone add a metagame guide for the new modes? I see to have most problems with that vampire vs nanaya mode because I barely know about it myself.

View user profile

20 Re: The Pyrce High Metagaming Guide! on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:37 am

ContinuityGuy wrote:Continuity. Is it metagaming or not.

I think the rounds can be connected in a similar way to the various repetitions of the higurashi story which is where the whole concept of the game originated. In other words each round with every result genuinely precedes the rounds that follow chronologically. However like higurashi the players cannot normally remember. I like to believe that each round occurs in the exact same space of time, however that space of time is repeated over and over again.

After playing mitadake for several years, and this quite recently, I only found occasion to "recall" vaguely one of the past horrific events once. I think it's a legitimate RP but that it requires EXTREME restraint and that if it should NOT be overused.

Ahh, and just casually saying "There is no reason to be surprised. It's happened before to this school." would definitely be too casual a use. I also personally think that as they likely occupy the same space of time that events from earlier games should not be treated as happening earlier in living memory.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum