Pyrce High

You are not connected. Please login or register

Throwing (knives)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Throwing (knives) on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:36 am

Dragonzeanse

I'm sure there's been a lot of thought invested into the idea of more ranged weapons. However, I believe this one might be an acceptable idea. The ability to throw knives. Admittedly, it'd change the game quite a lot, because the most common weapon can now be used at a range.

However, the thinking is this:
  • Throwing knives does less damage than stabbing, because the PH students are not Spetsnaz.
  • It would add more ranged weaponry to the game without making things too imbalanced, for knives are still comparatively weak but drain little stamina.
  • You wouldn't be able to keep the knives, obviously. It's not like a gun, where you can keep the weapon but find ammo, and knives are less effective. Throwing a knife means you sacrifice it.
  • Hoarding wouldn't be a big issue since knives are so common and you're not guaranteed to hit your target, especially if they are moving. Throwing them also discourages hoarding, because you're basically sharing knives with people.
  • They can only travel a certain distance before dropping harmlessly to the floor, like three tiles maybe. Optionally, you can make it so that if you have Running toggled, it will be thrown farther for more stamina.
  • People stand away from others who might be holding tasers, paint cans, the Alondite, etc. The distance that knives provide may be used in roleplaying as a method of catching someone off guard. Assuming you don't abuse it.

I would understand if people are hesitant to add this feature. It would probably take some busywork, and it would very well change the game, but it would probably encourage people to take less of the other items, though since knives are relatively light, it may not. Any thoughts to discourage the suggestion or improve it? Alternatively, you could also throw other weapons that are light, like paint cans. Obviously nobody should be allowed to throw an axe or the Alondite. Though my suggestion I believe works best on knives, if people are alright with the change anyway.

View user profile

2 Re: Throwing (knives) on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:08 am

Egil

Veteran
Veteran
the PH students are not Spetsnaz

Lol'd.

And... really, I think that this is a great idea except for one thing. If your enemy has something equipped, such as an Alondite, there should be a chance that the knife would bounce harmlessly to the floor. Also, the damage the throwing knife does should be a range... like, lets say 1 - 4 dmg when walking and 3 - 7 dmg when running is toggled.

View user profile

3 Re: Throwing (knives) on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:12 pm

Egil wrote:
the PH students are not Spetsnaz

Lol'd.

And... really, I think that this is a great idea except for one thing. If your enemy has something equipped, such as an Alondite, there should be a chance that the knife would bounce harmlessly to the floor. Also, the damage the throwing knife does should be a range... like, lets say 1 - 4 dmg when walking and 3 - 7 dmg when running is toggled.
Adding a probability of missing like that especially when the opponent has something that could obliterate you would be asinine in my opinion. I prefer just waiting for the 7th and calling it a day, but I guess it could work in some way. -Shrug-

View user profile

4 Re: Throwing (knives) on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:13 pm

Sachiko Shinozaki

I would suggest to make basically all objects throwable from glowsticks to alondite by giving the items a throw option simliar the paper airplane.

Different items do different damage, need different stamina to be thrown and get a different range and of course after throwing the item your opponent can slash you with the axe you just have thrown after them.

View user profile

5 Re: Throwing (knives) on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:19 pm

Dragonzeanse

Misha Arsellec Lune wrote:I would suggest to make basically all objects throwable from glowsticks to alondite by giving the items a throw option simliar the paper airplane.

Different items do different damage, need different stamina to be thrown and get a different range and of course after throwing the item your opponent can slash you with the axe you just have thrown after them.

That would probably be a good idea, though I still don't like the idea of throwing such weapons. Maybe once items are at a certain weight - with the exception of the fire axe - they cannot be thrown. I don't like the idea of someone hurling an Alondite at me. It just seems silly. Thoughts?

View user profile

6 Re: Throwing (knives) on Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Egil

Veteran
Veteran
Everything under 8 weight should be throwable. Knives and normally non-weapons would have different rules than stuff like bats of billhooks. Problem?

View user profile

7 Re: Throwing (knives) on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:35 pm

I stopped supporting this idea the moment it became 'hurr lets throw everything'. c:

View user profile

8 Re: Throwing (knives) on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:09 am

Sachiko Shinozaki

Dragonzeanse wrote:
Misha Arsellec Lune wrote:I would suggest to make basically all objects throwable from glowsticks to alondite by giving the items a throw option simliar the paper airplane.

That would probably be a good idea, though I still don't like the idea of throwing such weapons. Maybe once items are at a certain weight - with the exception of the fire axe - they cannot be thrown. I don't like the idea of someone hurling an Alondite at me. It just seems silly. Thoughts?

Throwing an axe or alondite should be possible but highly unattractive because it requires even more stamina than hitting something with it.

View user profile

9 Re: Throwing (knives) on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:35 am

Misha Arsellec Lune wrote:
Dragonzeanse wrote:

Throwing an axe or alondite should be possible but highly unattractive because it requires even more stamina than hitting something with it.

Not to mention you're giving them the weapon and letting them know you want to kill them if you miss...

View user profile

10 Re: Throwing (knives) on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:46 am

Egil

Veteran
Veteran
AliceSepet wrote:
Misha Arsellec Lune wrote:
Dragonzeanse wrote:

Not to mention you're giving them the weapon and letting them know you want to kill them if you miss...

Indeed. But keep in mind... hefty d00ds can throw axes. And the Alondite is enchanted, so you could RP having it 'float' through the air.

I'm leaning towards only having knives and items such as glowsticks be throwable.

View user profile

11 Re: Throwing (knives) on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:30 pm

Egil wrote:Indeed. But keep in mind... hefty d00ds can throw axes. And the Alondite is enchanted, so you could RP having it 'float' through the air.

I'm leaning towards only having knives and items such as glowsticks be throwable.

Yeah, having huge throwable weapons will be kinda dangerous on both ends. Knives, glowsticks, and the like would make much more sense since that would prevent the RP from being filled with large hefty students who can throw axes.

Viking High, anyone? XD *omit*

View user profile

12 Re: Throwing (knives) on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Yoshiki

Throwing weapons? Yes....Alright. When you throw light-weapons such as knives then they should speed across the screen and shouldn't take any stamina. However, when you throw an axe or an alondite then it should take out a huge amount of stamina and also should speed slightly more slower than the light-weapons.

View user profile

13 Re: Throwing (knives) on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:37 pm

kai2max

Personally, I thin that the smoke bombs should be throwable at the very least.

View user profile

14 Re: Throwing (knives) on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:23 am

Dragonzeanse wrote:I'm sure there's been a lot of thought invested into the idea of more ranged weapons. However, I believe this one might be an acceptable idea. The ability to throw knives. Admittedly, it'd change the game quite a lot, because the most common weapon can now be used at a range.

• Throwing knives does less damage than stabbing, because the PH students are not Spetsnaz.
  • It would add more ranged weaponry to the game without making things too imbalanced, for knives are still comparatively weak but drain little stamina.
  • You wouldn't be able to keep the knives, obviously. It's not like a gun, where you can keep the weapon but find ammo, and knives are less effective. Throwing a knife means you sacrifice it.
  • Hoarding wouldn't be a big issue since knives are so common and you're not guaranteed to hit your target, especially if they are moving. Throwing them also discourages hoarding, because you're basically sharing knives with people.
  • They can only travel a certain distance before dropping harmlessly to the floor, like three tiles maybe. Optionally, you can make it so that if you have Running toggled, it will be thrown farther for more stamina.
  • People stand away from others who might be holding tasers, paint cans, the Alondite, etc. The distance that knives provide may be used in roleplaying as a method of catching someone off guard. Assuming you don't abuse it.

I would understand if people are hesitant to add this feature. It would probably take some busywork, and it would very well change the game, but it would probably encourage people to take less of the other items, though since knives are relatively light, it may not. Any thoughts to discourage the suggestion or improve it? Alternatively, you could also throw other weapons that are light, like paint cans. Obviously nobody should be allowed to throw an axe or the Alondite. Though my suggestion I believe works best on knives, if people are alright with the change anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Wow..just...wow. Noticed how you typed "PH students arnt spetznaz", you're completely correct my good sir. But in general. Why are their weps stored in basement of a high-school in the first place. And why is it that students hoard instatly when the hoard timer goes away, it's utterly shit, seeing at the court-yard, normal should be rping cute girls, just 'kick' the teachers' corpse, then spitting on it, as if it wasnt their.

View user profile

15 Re: Throwing (knives) on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:16 pm

Dragonzeanse

Mr.Anonymous wrote:Wow..just...wow. Noticed how you typed "PH students arnt spetznaz", you're completely correct my good sir. But in general. Why are their weps stored in basement of a high-school in the first place. And why is it that students hoard instatly when the hoard timer goes away, it's utterly shit, seeing at the court-yard, normal should be rping cute girls, just 'kick' the teachers' corpse, then spitting on it, as if it wasnt their.

Stop trying so hard to troll, brosphemer.

View user profile

16 Re: Throwing (knives) on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Nightsky

Mr. Anonymous, that is completely off topic. The only part that's even remotely related to this is the reference to the Spetsnaz line, but that's it. You didn't even reference the throwing knives part... *sigh*

Anyways, I'm amazed I didn't reply yet. Throwing stuff has been suggested before, but I think this is the best variation so far. ^_^

View user profile

17 Re: Throwing (knives) on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:12 pm

Egil

Veteran
Veteran
Mr.Anonymous is the new Misha Lune. Except that he seems to be a male.

Anyways... yeah. I want throwable stuff. Even if it's secluded to knives and glowsticks and only does two damage... it would be cool.

View user profile

18 Re: Throwing (knives) on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:33 pm

Frosty

Admin
Admin
Egil wrote:Mr.Anonymous is the new Misha Lune. Except that he seems to be a male.

Anyways... yeah. I want throwable stuff. Even if it's secluded to knives and glowsticks and only does two damage... it would be cool.

Protip: It's FusionGeto

View user profile

19 Re: Throwing (knives) on Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:13 am

Mr.Anonymous wrote:
Dragonzeanse wrote:I'm sure there's been a lot of thought invested into the idea of more ranged weapons. However, I believe this one might be an acceptable idea. The ability to throw knives. Admittedly, it'd change the game quite a lot, because the most common weapon can now be used at a range.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Wow..just...wow. Noticed how you typed "PH students arnt spetznaz", you're completely correct my good sir. But in general. Why are their weps stored in basement of a high-school in the first place. And why is it that students hoard instatly when the hoard timer goes away, it's utterly shit, seeing at the court-yard, normal should be rping cute girls, just 'kick' the teachers' corpse, then spitting on it, as if it wasnt their.

>pointing out someone's grammar

>as if it wasnt their

20 Re: Throwing (knives) on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:55 am

Egil

Veteran
Veteran
Frosty wrote:
Egil wrote:Mr.Anonymous is the new Misha Lune. Except that he seems to be a male.

Protip: It's FusionGeto

Everything makes sense now.

View user profile

21 Re: Throwing (knives) on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:14 am

Dragonzeanse

Weren't we discussing an idea that people legitimately liked?

View user profile

22 Re: Throwing (knives) on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:15 pm

Egil

Veteran
Veteran
Dragonzeanse wrote:Weren't we discussing an idea that people legitimately liked?

Yes. I like this idea loads. Throwing knives, glowsticks, etc. as I said before, would add more elements to the RP... so. I want.

Infact... I want so much, that I did my best to make my own crappy throwing stuff: mediafire.com ?dlqhbuvce1j4bjd

View user profile

23 Re: Throwing (knives) on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:20 pm

Dragonzeanse

Egil wrote:Infact... I want so much, that I did my best to make my own crappy throwing stuff: mediafire.com ?dlqhbuvce1j4bjd

I'm not an iconner, but those look alright to me.

Also, I'd like to change my mind on the stamina drain. I don't think there should be any, because if throwing a weapon makes it do less damage and leaves you short of a weapon, while draining your stamina, you might as well not do it. It might even be okay to have it do as much damage as if you just stabbed someone, unrealistic as it might be. Think about it: there's a difference between balance and having no incentive to do something.

View user profile

24 Re: Throwing (knives) on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:01 pm

Egil

Veteran
Veteran
Dragonzeanse wrote:
Egil wrote:Infact... I want so much, that I did my best to make my own crappy throwing stuff: mediafire.com ?dlqhbuvce1j4bjd

I'm not an iconner, but those look alright to me.

Also, I'd like to change my mind on the stamina drain. I don't think there should be any, because if throwing a weapon makes it do less damage and leaves you short of a weapon, while draining your stamina, you might as well not do it. It might even be okay to have it do as much damage as if you just stabbed someone, unrealistic as it might be. Think about it: there's a difference between balance and having no incentive to do something.

Throwing a knife doesn't take much strength. It's throwing it correctly that's the problem. The factor of chance comes into play as well, since throwing it as if it were a football may still injure your opponent. So... if you want to be realistic and not have a stamina drain, then it should be coded to have a chance of missing or being caught, in my opinion.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum