Pyrce High

You are not connected. Please login or register

Substitute/Replacement Witch(es)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Substitute/Replacement Witch(es) on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:27 am

Dragonzeanse

So many times, I've had to boot witches from my server for breaking rules and constantly RAing/RKing, non-emote attacking, or just being morons in general and disrespecting the rules. Sometimes, they die very early in the round and we're left without a witch for the duration of the round.

I feel there needs to be a contingency for situations like this. For example, some way for the witch to transfer their powers or have them stolen. A few solutions I've come up with are:

1: Allow people resurrected by the witch to spawn with one of the witch's abilities. Could be a specific one, could be randomized. The health they are resurrected with will not change, but they will have at least one of the witch's tricks. This is not exactly an acceptable stand-in for witch, but it means more than one person can potentially have their abilities. This could change the game quite a lot as we know it, and prevent witches from resurrecting their victims if it means they get an edge, however.

2: Whoever kills the witch will steal their powers. People will not be allowed to know this ICly, or it will constitute as metagaming. Admittedly, this will be incredibly difficult and will not compensate for the witch being booted from the round.

3: Randomly generate a new witch after the original dies. This will not sit very well with some people who wanted to roleplay something completely different, however, and may end up contradicting roleplays if they're forced to assume the role of witch.

Each of these has an advantage and disadvantage. If someone could come up with extra solutions, I'd appreciate it. Now, I've never seen Umineko - which is what Witch mode is based off of - so I have a very good feeling that my solutions would contradict the anime canon, but I feel it's a change worth making to the game if it means Witch rounds aren't just shackled to one single person.

Think about it: Normal and Suspect can have multiple killers with vastly different ambitions, for whatever reason. The Death Note modes can see someone steal the Death Note and become Kira. Even Zombie mode means people will get infected and transform into zombies to join the horde. Witch mode has no backup. Once you lose the Witch, they're gone. Permanently. I think this can and should be fixed. What do you guys think?

View user profile

2 Re: Substitute/Replacement Witch(es) on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:55 am

Or you could, you know, end the round. If the witch is ruining the round, then the round is ruined, no need to delve any deeper.

View user profile

3 Re: Substitute/Replacement Witch(es) on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:49 am

Dragonzeanse

Kooler221 wrote:Or you could, you know, end the round. If the witch is ruining the round, then the round is ruined, no need to delve any deeper.

What if you don't want it to end? What if other roleplayers are having fun so far and you don't want to shut down what they're doing so far? It's kind of ignorant just to close shop like that because the Witch was a dud. I mean, there's no reason there shouldn't be some backup plan.

View user profile

4 Re: Substitute/Replacement Witch(es) on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:34 pm

Nightsky

Games can go on just fine if the witch is a dud, there's just no witch. Although, I see your point: there's no point to Witch mode if there's no witch out to kill you, and there's only one witch. In the original version of Witch mode, Bernkastel would sometimes spawn, and at least once she took over Beatrice's job. Maybe we should have two witches as a fail-safe system? Then again, that could just lead to two duds, though...

I'd suggest reminding everyone that they don't know about the witch being booted ICly, and that they should go on reacting as if there's a magical killer stalking you, ready to pounce at any moment. Also, reiterate the rules several times before starting the round: "WITCH CANNOT RANDOMLY KILL OR ATTACK, NEEDS A REASON, SAY YES SIR IF YOU READ THIS, I'LL BOOT WITCHES, BLAH BLAH BLAH."

View user profile

5 Re: Substitute/Replacement Witch(es) on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:13 am

Dragonzeanse

Nightsky wrote:I'd suggest reminding everyone that they don't know about the witch being booted ICly, and that they should go on reacting as if there's a magical killer stalking you, ready to pounce at any moment. Also, reiterate the rules several times before starting the round: "WITCH CANNOT RANDOMLY KILL OR ATTACK, NEEDS A REASON, SAY YES SIR IF YOU READ THIS, I'LL BOOT WITCHES, BLAH BLAH BLAH."

Keeping in mind that the Witches can break more rules besides random killing and random attacking. While I should be for letting people continue a round, often times I boot the Witch immediately and have to remake anyway because nothing can be gained from leaving the round going, really. Plus, people tend not to try and kill others unless someone provokes them first, and there's usually no better person than the special role. It's easier to be a killer in other roles because not everyone has to work together to take down a single, powerful foe. In Witch? Not so simple.

View user profile

6 Re: Substitute/Replacement Witch(es) on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:20 pm

This likely isn't the feedback you're particularly looking for, but the way I see it if something happens to the witch in the ban or boot variety it basically turns the game to a "normal" mode of sorts. It's why I refuse to reboot if the witch does something stupid to get themselves kicked out. It'd be a pointless rebooting.

Edit: Though from a personal standpoint, I do think GMs should have the ability to spawn a new witch, or even shinigami, in such a case.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum