Pyrce High

You are not connected. Please login or register

Puttin on the ritz

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Puttin on the ritz on Tue May 29, 2012 11:53 am

You know what we need? Domino Masks. I mean like Tim Drake's Robin mask (Or Tuxedo Mask's...Mask if you're feeling more planetary), something that only covers a small part of the face so that gameplay isn't altered and the Masked Person doesn't get any inherent advantage. The person's hair isn't changed, and so they can still be easily identified.

Also, in the same vein, Hats. While wearing a hat, bits of hair should be sticking out from underneath it so that people can still be recognized, and the things they say, no matter what they are wearing, will still come up as "The Green Haired Boy says..."

I don't know, maybe hats would be somewhat tougher, and I'd hate for this game to go the Team Fortress 2 route. But masks could be super fun.

Maybe even...eye-patches? pirat

View user profile

2 Re: Puttin on the ritz on Tue May 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Ryuru

Well, it seems like this would take quite a bit of work on the spriter's part, just because of how he'd have to add each hat differently for each sprite, but I support the eyepatches. Those are awesome, and could probably be layerable fairly easily.

View user profile

3 Re: Puttin on the ritz on Tue May 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Ryuru wrote:Well, it seems like this would take quite a bit of work on the spriter's part, just because of how he'd have to add each hat differently for each sprite, but I support the eyepatches. Those are awesome, and could probably be layerable fairly easily.

Yeah, that's just what I was thinking with the masks. With just a simple mask like this one http://costumesupplyhouse.com/ProductImages/eyemasks/domino.jpg and possibly a special effect like the one they do in the Batman series(es) where the mask just makes one's eyes look all white (like here: http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/1/18921/585693-296961_155900_robin_super_super.jpg ) It would be easy to just overlay it like the eye-patch.

And then my master plan would be complete! THE WORLD SHALL BE MI-...er...I mean it would offer so many great RPing opportunities.

View user profile

4 Re: Puttin on the ritz on Tue May 29, 2012 2:08 pm

I whipped up a little prototype in MS Paint, I think the design could use some improvement, but I sort of like how it turned out: http://imgur.com/NMY1e

View user profile

5 Re: Puttin on the ritz on Wed May 30, 2012 11:51 am

Ryuru

Well I was expecting it would be under the hair. It looks a bit odd going over it, but it makes it easy and do-able. I'm fine with it.

View user profile

6 Re: Puttin on the ritz on Wed May 30, 2012 1:17 pm

Egil

Veteran
Veteran
Ryuru wrote:Well I was expecting it would be under the hair. It looks a bit odd going over it, but it makes it easy and do-able. I'm fine with it.

Hair isn't an overlay, it's iconned onto each sprite. Therefore, masks will never work unless you are fine with some ugliness.

View user profile

7 Re: Puttin on the ritz on Wed May 30, 2012 1:48 pm

Ryuru

I know it isn't an overlay. That's why I was worried he would have to make a different mask for each sprite for it to work, which is why I didn't like the idea.

But I'm fine with it being over it.

View user profile

8 Re: Puttin on the ritz on Wed May 30, 2012 7:25 pm

Egil

Veteran
Veteran
Ryuru wrote:I know it isn't an overlay. That's why I was worried he would have to make a different mask for each sprite for it to work, which is why I didn't like the idea.

But I'm fine with it being over it.

Cosplays costumes, masks, removable goggles/sunglasses, etc. cannot work due to Ice's/others choice to not make hairs an overlay. It's a mistake, in my opinion, that will cause problems down the road when people want to add things like masks and they can't because they look ridiculous on the sprites.

View user profile

9 Re: Puttin on the ritz on Wed May 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Well it's easy enough to make it go over the whole sprite, isn't it? (I've been trying to make an eye-patch in MS Paint...the difficulty lies in making it look round like the person doesn't have a gigantic black tumor on their face)

View user profile

10 Re: Puttin on the ritz on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:19 pm

The Great Jack of Clubs wrote:Well it's easy enough to make it go over the whole sprite, isn't it? (I've been trying to make an eye-patch in MS Paint...the difficulty lies in making it look round like the person doesn't have a gigantic black tumor on their face)
As far as I am aware, no. Even if we ignore that hair is not an overlay, each individual sprite has a different size. Also, I can say from experience, even IF hair was an overlay, it wouldn't matter. The way BYOND works, any item added to a mob will automatically be the topmost overlay. To make it "look right", Ice would need to hard icon the whole character with each and every overlay combination possible as a separate sprite, and the game would need to be coded to switch you on a dime sprite to sprite. Way too much work, and could come to bog the game down fast.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum