0% 0% [ 0 ]
33% 33% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 12

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 New Art! From Sprites to Visual Rework on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:50 am

Cleaver

Lurker
Lurker
I think it's necessary to have new sprites. In fact, I think it's so necessary I started to make some. The one finished base sprite I have is going to be attached to this post. It is the new male base I'd like to implement. I'm doing a new female base as well. The idle for it is finished already. I'm also going to do a running animation for both genders, as well as at least 15 sprites for each. Anyone is free to use my bases and modify them in anyway if they are posted in this thread. If you want to make a custom student icon, be my guest!

The reason I think this is necessary is because... The MH Sprites we're using are dated. They're VERY dated. Sure we gave a new look to a few of the sprites, but a lot of them are still completely the same. Wasn't the point of Pyrce to actually update the game? I think this is a great idea, and here are my pros and cons!

Pros!
  • Original, made specifically for this game!
  • Newer, cleaner looking!
  • Actually looks like a highschooler and not like a chibi
  • More variation in animation (Such as the seperate run animation!)
  • Open source so if anyone wants to pitch their idea, it'll be up for approval or denial.
  • Will help the game stand out!

Cons!
  • Will have to rework the weapon sprites to fit the new sprites. (This also gives us a chance to input new weapons, or maybe more kinds of weapons)
  • The style may not fit everyone's taste
  • Will possibly require a lot of updated sprites, such as a near rework of the game's art. (A LOT of work! However, the project is open source so if a few people contribute 1 icon, it shouldn't take nearly as long!)

I really do think there should be a visual update to the game. Give classrooms some more character. Input equippable pillow icons and RP pillow fights as well. It wouldn't only give us the chance to rework what we have, but INPUT NEW THINGS~! There should be more props, and more items. It gets old to see people rushing to trashcans to find giant cleavers every game. I'd like everyone's feedback, if they could spare the time. Negative or Positive.

This isn't all about character sprites, but it's what I thought could bring about a whole new aspect to the game, because it'd force new things.

We should include new weapons, because people digging around in trash cans for cleavers is kind of stupid. Things like matte knives in the paint room. Projectile objects such as flowerpots that would fall to the ground after 7 tiles or so if it didn't hit an object.Or maybe sases that work like a close range black feather, you use it on someone, you basically just smashed it over their head, and they are dazed for 5 seconds, with the option to move, but not see. The vase breaks after one use, but you can pick up glass shards, and use it in place of a knife.

How about screwdrivers in the basement which have utility? It works as a very weak breakable weapon, but you can use it to fight. Some ideas for what you can do with it, screw the lights shut in the basement so people can't fiddle with what's already put in play. Consequently a hammer can knock off the lid. Or how about paper guillotine cutters, like the ones you may or may not have had in your classroom as a prop. If the screw driver is used, you can acquire the guillotine handle. There can be a picth fork in the basement. Seriously, how else would they get rid of the grass cut in the courtyard?

Items such as food. The refrigerator will be full of food that heal for very very minimal amounts, This will give more incentive to other kinds of character types, such as a fat kid who likes to eat food and is constantly raiding a fridge. To correlate with that, we could include liquid rat poison. You can drizzle some onto food, or fill it with a syringe, because let's face it, no one ever uses sedatives, and syringes are only for regenerative items. You could use this in RP as, say you're the kiler: You see an injured student and have a syringe of rat poison. Tell them you're going to patch them up, inject the poison, and OOOPS, they're dead. Witches can set up feasts with poisoned food randomly through out it. However if you stop eating, the witch will get mad and kill you. So eat until there's nothing left and hope you make it out alive.

Mops to clean up blood. Spare uniforms in the lockers to replace some possible red spray paint that may or may not have blood mixed in with it.

Thats' just some speculation, I'm going to quote this in the main post. Either way, new sprites should be made, and if we implement ANY of this at all, new sprites HAVE to be made.

One new item in game, can lead to one new use and aspect in each mode.

Male Base here dropbox.com/s/j27albt581nsevh/Malesimplified1.dmi

Last edited by Cleaver on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

2 Re: New Art! From Sprites to Visual Rework on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:48 am

Frosty

Admin
Admin
Yeah, no. If we change the style of the characters the game will start to completely stop feeling like Mitadake and lose the original charm completely.
And those sprites really aren't that good. The style doesn't work with the dimensions and the animation is pretty bad. There's a reason that old school RPGs all used the "chibi" style sprites.

View user profile

3 Re: New Art! From Sprites to Visual Rework on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:22 pm

Cleaver

Lurker
Lurker
Pretty sure the point of Pyrce is to feel fresher and newer. That's why Mitadake was remade, so things could be added and changed. I mean heaven forbid Pyrce stops feeling like Mitadake and feels like something with a new charm. Also, I'd like constructive criticism on how to improve then. I'll remake this base until it's to your liking Frosty, as you are the lead iconner. What exactly is wrong with the animation, and how could I fix it? It was my first attempt at spriting and animating something from scratch, and I'd really like your guidance on making it better. I mean, could you at least give me an example of a style you think we COULD use if we DID update the sprites? Just like an idle for each direction would be nice, I want to see your take on it.

EDIT
I have the female sprite done too now the link is here! dropbox.com/s/1w8o70wsyqnndns/FemaleBase.dmi Please tell me if this one's any better than the male one.

View user profile

4 Re: New Art! From Sprites to Visual Rework on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:34 pm

princess kyo

Ice, you really don't have to be so rude with your comments, your behavior is completely unnecessary. If you feel that her sprites can be improved, then leave it at that. There's a different between criticism and plain out being a jackass. I have never seen you get defensive over any other area of suggestion (mode suggestions, etc) but when it is comes to sprite making you act like a jerk? I will highly suggest you chill out and if you do not like suggestions you simply do not have to comment. If Jeremy doesn't like the suggestions they won't be added, this happens 90% of the time on the forum and there's no need for you to say yes or no and hurt someone's feelings.

View user profile

5 Re: New Art! From Sprites to Visual Rework on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:04 pm

Puckaboo2

I dislike the new player sprites idea, because it just takes away the cute charm that Mitadake High had. If anything, the shirts and faces need a touch up with consistent coloring for the uniform and faces without the need of 5 different blues and grays and blacks.

However,

I really do think there should be a visual update to the game. Give classrooms some more character. Input equippable pillow icons and RP pillow fights as well. It wouldn't only give us the chance to rework what we have, but INPUT NEW THINGS~! There should be more props, and more items. It gets old to see people rushing to trashcans to find giant cleavers every game.

I strongly agree to this. I've even suggested to where you want to push somebody or something. I've also suggested being able to smash desks down with axes and adding mops for cleanup.

Also, the poll is quite vague to me. I would like an option to keep the current sprites but add more things to the game, because I love my chibis :3:

View user profile

6 Re: New Art! From Sprites to Visual Rework on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Sachiko Shinozaki

The game looks like a mitadake clone.. like 80% of the stuff that is in the game exists exactly the same way in the other game. I already like the new school design. It makes the game look like its playing in pyrce high. The only thing I would love to see really changed in general are the uniforms. They could be better. Lets give pyrce high an identity as pyrce high and not as mitadake high 2.

View user profile

7 Re: New Art! From Sprites to Visual Rework on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:51 pm

Puckaboo2

Misha Arsellec Lune wrote:The game looks like a mitadake clone.. like 80% of the stuff that is in the game exists exactly the same way in the other game. I already like the new school design. It makes the game look like its playing in pyrce high. The only thing I would love to see really changed in general are the uniforms. They could be better. Lets give pyrce high an identity as pyrce high and not as mitadake high 2.
I can fix the uniform thing. think the sprites should all be put in the same position, such as like, when say the brown haired girl is facing upwards to the pink haired girl's direction, both are like, two pixels off left and right and it doesn't look direct... Basically I'm saying, in all directions, if you put all the characters on top of each other, they should stack perfectly without notice of of a few characters being off by one or two pixels. Also, the head positions on some characters are somewhat off and I could fix that too, if I had the icons. I'm good at these little details and I could fix them.

View user profile

8 Re: New Art! From Sprites to Visual Rework on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Ryuru

Nope nope nope. But still, good luck with your artwork. I don't like the style, but not everyone is going to love it.

Last edited by Ryuru on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

9 Re: New Art! From Sprites to Visual Rework on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:10 pm

I must say I prefer the old character art style over the proposed new one. Even though large parts of this sentiment may stem from me being used to the old style and general preference, there is just a certain charm in having these "chibi-like", adorable sprites used in conjunction with the rather grim premise of Mitadake / Pyrce High.

And this game is a remake and/or overhaul of Mitadake; I see no reason in hiding that fact by exchanging the graphics.

View user profile

10 Re: New Art! From Sprites to Visual Rework on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:48 pm

Cleaver

Lurker
Lurker
Puckaboo2 wrote:I dislike the new player sprites idea, because it just takes away the cute charm that Mitadake High had.

I think I could take a game more seriously if I actually looked like a highschooler, and not some chibi with "cute charm." This game is supposed to be a survival horror game, and I only think it would be more appropriate with characters that actually look like high school students. I think it would add to the immersion you get when you're in a good round, and could see yourself better in game. Again, I could redo the sprite, but I don't see anyone taking initiative in making new sprites at all, I mean it's been a long time since some new sprites were added. How hard could it be to sprite say... a screwdriver...? I mean it's like an oval pixel with a line pixel, that expands at the end. The point is, this wasn't JUST ABOUT CHARACTER SPRITES!

How could adding new icons to the game for more weapons hurt?

We should include new weapons, because people digging around in trash cans for cleavers is kind of stupid. Things like matte knives in the paint room. Projectile objects such as flowerpots that would fall to the ground after 7 tiles or so if it didn't hit an object.Or maybe sases that work like a close range black feather, you use it on someone, you basically just smashed it over their head, and they are dazed for 5 seconds, with the option to move, but not see. The vase breaks after one use, but you can pick up glass shards, and use it in place of a knife.

How about screwdrivers in the basement which have utility? It works as a very weak breakable weapon, but you can use it to fight. Some ideas for what you can do with it, screw the lights shut in the basement so people can't fiddle with what's already put in play. Consequently a hammer can knock off the lid. Or how about paper guillotine cutters, like the ones you may or may not have had in your classroom as a prop. If the screw driver is used, you can acquire the guillotine handle. There can be a picth fork in the basement. Seriously, how else would they get rid of the grass cut in the courtyard?

Items such as food. The refrigerator will be full of food that heal for very very minimal amounts, This will give more incentive to other kinds of character types, such as a fat kid who likes to eat food and is constantly raiding a fridge. To correlate with that, we could include liquid rat poison. You can drizzle some onto food, or fill it with a syringe, because let's face it, no one ever uses sedatives, and syringes are only for regenerative items. You could use this in RP as, say you're the kiler: You see an injured student and have a syringe of rat poison. Tell them you're going to patch them up, inject the poison, and OOOPS, they're dead. Witches can set up feasts with poisoned food randomly through out it. However if you stop eating, the witch will get mad and kill you. So eat until there's nothing left and hope you make it out alive.

Mops to clean up blood. Spare uniforms in the lockers to replace some possible red spray paint that may or may not have blood mixed in with it.

Thats' just some speculation, I'm going to quote this in the main post. Either way, new sprites should be made, and if we implement ANY of this at all, new sprites HAVE to be made.

View user profile

11 Re: New Art! From Sprites to Visual Rework on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:42 pm

Sachiko Shinozaki

You are asking for the Pyrce High engine to do something that it can't do.. all the stuff is possible for Space Station 13 but not for Pyrce High. We have no equipment slots for armor, clothes and stuff making us unable to use items as tools on objects or even thinking about changing clothes.

No matter how much I would love it. There is no way that this will ever happen. Unless you totally reprogram the game.

View user profile

12 Re: New Art! From Sprites to Visual Rework on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Cleaver

Lurker
Lurker
Misha Arsellec Lune wrote:You are asking for the Pyrce High engine to do something that it can't do.. all the stuff is possible for Space Station 13 but not for Pyrce High. We have no equipment slots for armor, clothes and stuff making us unable to use items as tools on objects or even thinking about changing clothes.

No matter how much I would love it. There is no way that this will ever happen. Unless you totally reprogram the game.

I didn't mean get new clothing in the literal sense, I meant it something such as this: You're covered in red paint, and want to get rid of it. Equipping clothes would essentially just be removing the paint/stain object. I don't see how the engine can't handle that. And using items as tools... If we can use an axe on a door by clicking the open command, then why can't we use a screwdriver on an item if it's equipped.

View user profile

13 Re: New Art! From Sprites to Visual Rework on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:22 pm

Egil

Veteran
Veteran
Basically, much of this topic is revolving around Ice's aggressive reply instead of constructive criticism.

Don't get me wrong, Cleaver. I appreciate you taking a shot and putting the effort into this topic and, even though I also do not approve of this due to the fact that it would take a shitload of work, I do like your sprite and the notion that the game needs new art. I've had on many occassions trolls/n00bs come onto the game claiming that PH is a rip of MH, simply because of the very similar art/gameplay style.

Pyrce High is NOT a remake of MH. It is it's own game. If you want to play MH, then go play it~

View user profile

14 Re: New Art! From Sprites to Visual Rework on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:37 pm

Cleaver

Lurker
Lurker
Egil wrote:
Pyrce High is NOT a remake of MH. It is it's own game. If you want to play MH, then go play it~

This. This is basically what I am 100% Getting at. Why did we remake MH so we could update it, if we don't want updates????

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum