Pyrce High

You are not connected. Please login or register

Questions, Observations, and Introduction of Decius

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Decius

Lurker
Lurker
Hello, there. I suppose that it might be a bit rude for me to suddenly appear and criticize some things. It might also be constructive, and so far I like the community and like the game! That said, I do have a few things to say, just from my experience. I'd... /appreciate/ if they could be answered.

First, I'll introduce myself. Decius Reln, just an old player on byond who.. had his first game ever be Mitadake High, maybe six or seven years ago. I'm sixteen, now, and obviously Decius is just the name I use online. I'm fairly experienced at byond coding, though not extraordinarily so, and can use C++ and Python while having a basic understanding of them. I like Linux over Windows, Windows over Mac, and that sort of thing.

As for byond... I suppose the only real community I'm involved with any more is over at Baystation 12, which is one of the more popular SS13 servers. I'm an admin and I sometimes do some code for it when I'm feeling like I am in the mood-- It's fairly large, a big contrast from this community!

Anyway. I've ended up joining Pyrce High because I was re-watching all of Death Note the other day and thought of Mitadake High, which I looked into. To my annoyance, it had no updates nor any server that seemed even slightly better anymore, and it wasn't open-source, so I was unable to decide to work on it myself. I actually was considering redeveloping the entire game with a remake myself when I ended up finding Pyrce.

Looks cool! A few more modes, doesn't seem to be lacking in any basics, has a map editor, and the community has been pretty helpful already from my questions over in the server online. Even has a forums where I can come and explain and introduce myself like this. Nice to meet most of you that I've spoken to, so far!

Anyway. That said, I do have a few questions and a few basic things that I'd like to cover, which I'll take to the suggestion forums once people tell me I'm not utterly insane here. Here are the questions:

• Who is the current developer of Pyrce High?
  • Could someone explain for me the idea of having multiple admins/mods that are global, on every server (including private ones?)?
  • How open do you people think you are to newcomers? Razz
  • What is your favorite mode, and why? For you personally. ( This might be a bit unexpected of a question. )
  • What.. precisely /is/ the staff team system? How does it work, fully and completely?

Anyway! With those said, I have a few quick observations to make about the community.

As a new player, the server looks to be very open to new players and I liked it. That said, the Pyrce High Forums are... barren of useful things and information, to put it bluntly. I'd really appreciate and would be willing to help write up things for new players once I become a little bit more experienced, and see about making what would appear to be inconsistencies and issues slightly less so.

Just a comment, but the idea of having staff on servers that aren't a 'main' server chosen by the owner... Seems silly to me! I mean, I don't wish to state that it is outright bad (I'm fairly certain that the staff are trustworthy and good at their job), but just in my experience having your own server makes you separate from the owner. Also, glancing at the host panel in the host files I downloaded, the host does not appear to have much power-- This is just something that it may take me a bit to get used to, since I'm new, and so feel free to yell at me if I overstep myself in pointing out such things.

Some of you people seem really decent at roleplaying! That was a pleasant (forgive me for saying this) surprise. My last memories of Mitadake High were not very encouraging for the Mitadake High people, and it seems pretty cool that you people seem to be coherent. The mere ability to type a full sentence already tells me that it's nicer than a fair number of places on byond. Thanks for that. Wink

Anyway. I suppose that's it. I'll check back to this topic and reply to things and try to be as helpful as I can. Feel free to ask any questions you have of me, and I hope that I end up making a productive member of the community.

Have a nice day, and enjoy your game. ~

View user profile

Frosty

Admin
Admin
Masterbraska is the developer of the game, though there hasn't been an update for a few months.
I'm actually in agreement with you that I think allowing the freedom to for a host to moderate their server the way they wish is very important, and I'm against the idea of all these global rules that must be enforced on every server. Sadly the rest of the staff disagree and would rather have control. Personally I think that all that needs to be there is the no cybering rule, and the "respect the staff" rule, and leave the rest up to the host, and leave the rest as "default rules", for if the host doesn't specify.
One of the issues in Mitadake was the lack of moderation, so it was always up to the host to push the button manually, so if they left, there was no way to deal with people griefing. Especially now, with the ability to leave a server on autohost without a host present, it's necessary to have moderators who can deal with a situation if the host isn't available. The moderating team is only supposed to deal with issues that break the rules of the server they're on too.

People here are likely to be more welcoming of competent players who can communicate effectively and show that they actually want to take part, so if a newbie in question isn't a griefer or hostile, they'll get a great reception.
My favorite mode is witch mode, which I concepted. Originally the witch was shown as Beatrice herself, with the idea being that inside the catbox of the school, anything could be happening, including a witch killing everyone. If the students managed to kill her, she would turn back into a student to show this. Of course, this meaning got lost along the way, and every round became an umineko circlejerk (Which while entertaining, wasn't fair to those not involved), so the mode was changed so that the witch would be one of the students, reintroducing the culprit factor back into it.
As for the RPing thing, yes, people here are a lot better at RP. Speaking personally, maybe too much. Looking back on Mitadake, a lot of the best RPs tended to be as a result of actions taken by less than decent players and the survival element was a lot larger since it used to be the case that actually surviving a round was an accomplishment (There was an unlockable for it, even!). There's not much room for that here, since players here have a much lower tolerance for what they consider to be poor RP and will insist that players are griefing and need to be banned if they get attacked or die without a descriptive warning, which really kills the survival element since not only does it discourage attacking other players at all, but if you DO get attacked, then you have a handy opportunity to flee in the moment between an emote being made, and the attack being carried out.
That's just a little rant of mine though. I hope that's answered your questions.

View user profile

Egil

Veteran
Veteran
Frosty wrote:I'm actually in agreement with you that I think allowing the freedom to for a host to moderate their server the way they wish is very important, and I'm against the idea of all these global rules that must be enforced on every server. Sadly the rest of the staff disagree and would rather have control.
That's a sugarcoated, passive way of saying 'I would rather that Pyrce High be like MH because it would be more convenient for (possibly abusive) hosts that way', correct? That's my interpretation of the atmosphere of the above quote and your actions as of late. It's very inappropriate of you, as a staff member, to inject such a negative perspective of the staff by implying that they're egocentric and enjoy being superior into a new member of the community. Giving the truth is just fine - Twisting it to make a newcomer think a certain way makes you seem untrustworthy and, honestly- cruel.

Frosty wrote:Personally I think that all that needs to be there is the no cybering rule, and the "respect the staff" rule, and leave the rest up to the host, and leave the rest as "default rules", for if the host doesn't specify.
Is this why you blatantly allowed hoarding and such on your server before, despite those being against gamewide rules, or did you do that because you knew that you'd get away with it?

- - - - - - - - -

In the following pastebin, I'll attempt to build off of Frosty's response to objectively address all of your concerns/questions, Decius:

http://pastebin.com/rkAHP098

- - - - - - - - -

tl;dr - Welcome, but watch out. It's hard to know what's the truth and what's an opinion when everyone is a stranger.

View user profile
Not to contradict Frosty, but there is a hole in his argument to begin with.

The Gamewide Rules are flexible to hosts, and always have been. Only rules one, five, six, seven, and eight are strictly enforced across all servers. The rest of them are, more or less, rough/minimal guidelines that are to be enforced if the server has no other rule put in place to address it. They are bare minimums that are required on public servers.

I shall try to address them as best I can.

Rule Two: Hoarding and Rushing are both illegal across all servers. The host can set their limits for hoarding as they please, but there must be a limit.
Rule Three: This one is not a guideline, but a full on rule. However, we have become a bit more lenient with names, and as such this is not taken entirely as strictly as it used to be.
Rule Four: The RA/RK rule has always been a rough guideline, put in place not by myself but by you, Frosty. If you'll remember, this bare minimum was brought about by yourself and Braska. You two defined this rule, not me. This rule makes it so, in a server with no defined RK/RA rule, it is defined as attacking without proper indication of intent through words or emote. (Even though your server is pretty much the only one to not have mandatory emotes nowadays, the bare minimum has always stood as is)
Rule Nine: The strictness of needing to follow your role to the tee has always been up to the host. This rule only exists to ensure that players cannot ignore their role in game, and must acknowledge it within their RP.
Rule Ten: This is not even a rule. This is insurance to us, as staff, and hosts that people can not abuse any typos or holes within Gamewide or Server Side rules without running the risk of being punished.

Please do not misconstrue us as trying to "control the game", Frosty. We are not. These rules and guidelines are in place solely to allow the game to run smoothly. They are labeled rules because if they were not, as many have very blatantly done in the past, people will refuse to listen to the staff and outright ignore us.

Now to answer Decius' questions...
Decius wrote:Who is the current developer of Pyrce High?
Could someone explain for me the idea of having multiple admins/mods that are global, on every server (including private ones?)?
How open do you people think you are to newcomers? Razz
What is your favorite mode, and why? For you personally. ( This might be a bit unexpected of a question. )
What.. precisely /is/ the staff team system? How does it work, fully and completely?
-MasterBraska is the coder of this game, and the owner. Icons are made/ripped by himself, Frosty, as well as independent players who wish to try contributing. I usually help oversee the testing and hosting of new versions of the game for bugs and issues by hosting their public betas.
-The idea is to ensure that even when the host is not there, the rules may be enforced in as timely and efficient a manner as possible. Private servers are not privy to the gamewide rules, so in the case of those, it would be down to host determination alone on what they are.
-I think people are very open to newcomers, but I will not kid you and say you will have a warm welcome. It takes the community a while to warm up to new, lasting members to it. So long as you have competant english skills, common sense, are personable, and passable RP skills, you will be fine. Smile
-Normal Mode by far. It has the most flexible story and allows for more free form RP.
-This was answered in question two. Smile

Thank you, and welcome to Pyrce High.
-Satoshi

View user profile

Frosty

Admin
Admin
I meant no disrepect with what I said, if that's how it came out, I'm sorry. My word choice might not have been the best.

View user profile

Decius

Lurker
Lurker
Thank you. I appreciate the well-written and reasoned replies.

With all due respect, Egil, Frosty was simply answering-- it appears more so that you targeted him rather than actually were attempting to be helpful, and is hardly appropriate as a non-staff member. His opinions were fair and he did not try to 'force' them upon me, insofar as I am aware. That said, I appreciate the concern.

Otherwise. Satoshi? I do have a question for you, then-- if those are the specific rules to he enforced for every server, even if the host disagrees, then what are the other rules for if they are said to be for every server regardless? Would it not be better to establish those at the start and then establish the others as general guidelines?

And, if you don't mind me being a bit presumptuous (keep in mind where I mostly play now), may I ask how the general staff for every server might be expected to know so well what a host wants enforced as people the host may choose for themselves? At the very least having the ability, as a host, to make mods upon their own server should alleviate that issue.

Anyway! Don't take that as disrespect, as that is not the intent. I won't be forming more hard opinions about it until I've played a bit more, preferably over multiple servers, and see how well it plays out in practice. It is only that I am, of course, a bit skeptical to such a different way of work.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum